United-Kindred
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

San Jose by Night

4 posters

Go down

San Jose by Night Empty San Jose by Night

Post by ShadowLance Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:30 am

First off, I'm going to put this link here:
http://vtmr.webs.com/

Its a website I'm slowly building with chron information. below is a copy-paste of the current info I have written on San Jose by Night. I will try to update this thread AND the website.

----------------

San Jose by Night is a chronicle I will host only once Phoenix by Night is completed.

The storyline is going to be very covert, since surprise, intrigue, and suspense will be the focus of the chronicle. Suffice it to say I will have the story written down and planned out ahead of time.

The main thing I can reveal about the chronicle is that it will not be set in the World of Darkness. There will be no vampires, no werewolves, no wraiths, nothing. It will be realistic. Needless to say, all players will be human.

It won't be pen and paper, there won't be rolling. You will be entirely at my mercy.

There are character sheets, but they aren't nearly as complicated as pen and paper. I have made a new form that is infinitely more simple. The purpose being to keep track of what kind of characters you're all playing, to keep balance, and to help you make an original, deep character. Link at the bottom.

As I said, this will be set in the real world, so players will have the initial challenge of creating a realistic, believable, and most importantly, average characters. Hand-to-hand masters who specialize in dual pistols and doing back flips off walls while twirling knives will not be allowed.

A character who works nights at 7/11, hates his marriage, and wishes he could afford to go to college, is much closer to a character that would be allowed.

I will help you with this as needed.

Don't be put-off by the ordinary-ness of the chronicle, because you'll find it quickly spirals out of control.

All character's will be built with reasons to be in San Jose, whether they live there or are visiting.

The characters will be gathered in a "drug test" by a local research lab. The drug promises complete freedom from stress and anxiety, but is experimental. The research lab is also paying their test subjects. Additional, this is very cutting-edge stuff, so characters with an interest in science and/or technology could be interested for that reason.

Players will have to come up with a reason for their particular character to sign up for the drug testing. I listed some possible motivators above.

http://app.formassembly.com/forms/view/67530

Last edited by ShadowLance on Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

ShadowLance
StoryTeller (PnP)
StoryTeller (PnP)

Number of posts : 304

Character Details
Past Intro?: Wasn't tested
Can RP: Yes

Back to top Go down

San Jose by Night Empty Re: San Jose by Night

Post by ShadowLance Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:00 pm

I have built the character sheet form. There may be changes still, so I wouldn't recommend filling this out until I'm closer to hosting the chron.

But feel free to check it out, get an idea for what you're in for, etc.

Link in the above post.

ShadowLance
StoryTeller (PnP)
StoryTeller (PnP)

Character Details

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowLance Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:05 am

As I said, this will be set in the real world, so players will have the initial challenge of creating a realistic, believable, and most importantly, average characters. Hand-to-hand masters who specialize in dual pistols and doing back flips off walls while twirling knives will not be allowed.

A character who works nights at 7/11, hates his marriage, and wishes he could afford to go to college, is much closer to a character that would be allowed.

I will help you with this as needed.

the chronicle is that it will not be set in the World of Darkness. There will be no vampires, no werewolves, no wraiths, nothing. It will be realistic. Needless to say, all players will be human.

Wanted to re-state these two bits of information to make very clear what kind of a chronicle this will be.

Additionally, this is the place to post character ideas if you don't want to just discuss them via MSN with me.

Going to be working with everyone individually who wants to join to fine-tune their character.

Another option, if you have trouble creating a realistic character, is to just create and roleplay yourself.

ShadowLance
StoryTeller (PnP)
StoryTeller (PnP)

Character Details

Back to top Go down

Post by Aero Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:42 am

Another option, if you have trouble creating a realistic character, is to just create and roleplay yourself.
Oh believe me. Most of us are pretty boring in real life...
Though this RP is an interesting idea.
Aero
Aero
Lucifer
Lucifer

Number of posts : 615

Character Details
Past Intro?: Yes

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowLance Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:28 am

Boring is the point!

The whole idea of the chron is to go from normal every day boring life to something crazy and exciting, and how your very normal character reacts to the abnormal situation. That's where all the fun is.

If your character is already a crazy action movie badass, he's not going to be phased by anything and then there's no point

ShadowLance
StoryTeller (PnP)
StoryTeller (PnP)

Character Details

Back to top Go down

Post by Trogers2 Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:43 pm

In that case think I should redo Torque, or make another chracter. The whole idea of him been in prision is ok, not sure what you think of the visions and him killing his own family. I'll try and make another chracter anyway Smile
Trogers2
Trogers2
StoryTeller (KK)
StoryTeller (KK)

Number of posts : 1095

Character Details

http://kindred-knights.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowLance Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:38 pm

A few notes on the Torque character if you want to go with him:

1) Give him a full name. If you want his nickname to be Torque, write it as: John "Torque" Smith. If you want to leave your character as just "Torque" when you bring him in game, so no one is tempted to call you "John" even though you never told them his real name, then that's fine by me, but IMO the problem would be them metagaming not your char's name.

2) If he stood trial and stuck to the same consistent story that he blacked out and didn't remember it, and had a vision of their deaths and such, his trial lawyer would no doubt stick to pleading insanity. It's unlikely that it would fall through since it was his own wife and children. IMO he'd be in solitary confinement if he did go to prison, otherwise he'd be in a high-security psychiatric hospital.

If you do make him instead from a psych ward, you don't necessarily have to make his cell door mysteriously sliced open and everyone dead, he could simply be transferred to the drug testing facility in my game for "further study".

3) Stats: I'm not sure if the great strength and endurance and gun skills is just who the character is, or because you thought this would be a combat game. If it was the latter, let me assure you that you don't need an ounce of combat ability to survive the chron.

ShadowLance
StoryTeller (PnP)
StoryTeller (PnP)

Character Details

Back to top Go down

Post by Trogers2 Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:32 am

Having a name like that would make whispering a living hell, also I could just use my full name when sighing things as most people i.e work mates, friends, family etc.. would probably call the person "Torque" Not John smith or his full name, best to keep names short but thats cool. Torque was taken to a very high seriouty prision on a Isoland called "Carnate Isoland". The cell door been sliced open; is kind of a mystory which could of been caused by gas leak or something like that, however i didn't say what. As you have clearly said above, i am well aware this is not a combat game. Though I think Torque would have those kind of stats if he was real.

Anyway, I think it would be best if I just made a new chracter now that i'm looking at it, this probably won't fit. I though Torque would be intresting to play and be around, Doesn't look like that will happen.

I think I have another chracter more reaonable for the game, I'll start writing them up now, tell me what you think.
Trogers2
Trogers2
StoryTeller (KK)
StoryTeller (KK)

Character Details

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowLance Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:11 am

Sorry I didn't see this post for so long

whispering is based on first-name.

So:

/Jeff "Sexbomb" Yusef hello

is the same as

/Jeff hello

ShadowLance
StoryTeller (PnP)
StoryTeller (PnP)

Character Details

Back to top Go down

San Jose by Night Empty char sheet example

Post by ShadowLance Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:17 am

I thought I'd post an example character here, I just made this character up now. Just wanted to give anyone interested an idea of what will be accepted. Keep in mind this is a VERY average and realistic character, which is ideal, but I would allow little special traits as long as it was within reason. Having the power to read minds or see the future = no. Having an amazing high-paying job, wonderful happy family, and plenty of free time for hobbies and vacations = yes. Both pretty unlikely, but one is at least realistic =) Yes, I'm a cynic, but I also believe strongly in realism if the game is to have immersion.

Player Name
ShadowLance

Character Name
Matthew Larson

shadowde@yahoo.com

Sex
Male

Height
Average

Weight
Average

Anscestory
- White

Strength: Muscle mass
Average

Dexterity: Grace, agility, finesse
Average

Stamina: Endurance, physical toughness
Great

Intelligence: IQ, knowledge, education
Average

Wisdom: World-experience, judgement, deep-thinking
Average

Willpower: Determination, resolve, tenacity
Great

Charisma: leadership, charm, convincing others
Average

Appearance: attractiveness, physical beauty
Poor

Confidence: intimidating, commanding, and projecting self-worth
Poor

Your field
Grocery Store

Your position in that field
Boss, manager, professional

Your acceleration to higher levels of your field.
Not going anywhere

Skills
Primary skill (Job related)
Management

Secondary skill (Job/Hobby related)
Saxophone

Tertiary skill (Hobby related)
[None]

Background
Explain your attributes: Why does he have 'great' strength? To what degree? If he has 'poor' intelligence, is there a reason why? Etc.
Though Matthew's willpower and endurance is great, he doesn't know it. Matthew doesn't take chances or put himself at risk, so it is never tested. What does come into play in his life most often is his lack of confidence, which came mostly from physical and verbal abuse at school growing up. He was always the "band geek". Matthew isn't great looking, but he isn't that ugly. It is rated "Poor" because he's below average, with an acne scarred face and shifting nervous body-language from his lack of confidence. Physically he's in decent shape. Though normally not motivated, he actually gets to the gym occasionally, keeping his weight down despite his slowing metabolism.

Explain skills: Below, talk about the reasons for your character's three skills, the history behind them, how he/she acquired them, etc.
Matt didn't really go places in life like he thought he would. He started working for the grocery store as a bagger at 17 and still works there at 29, only now he's manager. In his spare time he practiced playing the Saxophone, which he was introduced to in middle-school, now he is quite good and could probably perform at the local jazz club if he had the balls. Matt doesn't really have any other skills. He's fairly bright and has a basic understanding of many things, but really hasn't pursued any of them.

Childhood: Explain your character's early years. What made him/her who he/she is today?
As mentioned, Matt grew up in the "band geek" circle, getting picked on a fair bit. His parents weren't really involved in his life, but offered a sort of passive "we'll be there for you if you need us" mentality. He never sought them for comfort or advice, because of some sense of honor he didn't yet understand.

Recent events: Describe any recent events in your character's life. Did he/she just get divorced? Get a promotion? New job?
Nothing new. Matt is at a stale middle ground, where he is about to turn 30 years old. His teens, and his twenties having passed him. He longs for something to change, anything, but doesn't have the confidence to make it happen. So he keeps waiting, for something to change him.

Belongings
On-hand: Anything your character has on him/her. Estimate how much cash he/she would have in his/her wallet, credit cards, clothes, etc.
$50-$100 dollars. A credit card. Blue jeans, oversized black t-shirt. Windbreaker. Cell phone. Car keys.

Nearby: Anything your character has immediate access to. Cars, suitcases of clothes, pairs of sunglasses, etc. Stuff he/she would keep at his/her apartment/house/hotel.
91' Ford Taurus Wagon. Lives in San Jose, so has plenty of clothes and accessories at his home. Nothing extraordinary. No weapons or anything like that. Also, his Saxophone and assorted cleaning equip, note sheets, etc.

Available: Things your character has access to. Money in bank, borrowed stuff from friends/family, etc.
Has a fair amount of money saved, around 10-20k, but really has nothing to spend it on. He just keeps it in case his car breaks down again. (Which he would just get a new one, but hasn't got around to it. For 10 years.)

Final Questions
Why did your character come to San Jose? Is he/she a native? If so how long has he/she been living there? What is his/her purpose there?
Native, has lived there his whole life (29 years).

Why did your character sign up for the drug testing? The money? The experience? The promises of its effects?
Matthew found the advertisement online and figured it was another scam, but in a strange moment of perhaps clouded judgment, signed up. Firstly because of the promises of its effects, getting rid of his anxiety and fear, but also because he just wanted something to change in his life, anything at all.

ShadowLance
StoryTeller (PnP)
StoryTeller (PnP)

Character Details

Back to top Go down

Post by Trogers2 Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:38 pm

Ok, sounds like a good example, though most people i know might not be used to making a chracter like this, as for the whispering system having a long name like that could be an issue, i have heard the whispering system can be very glitchy with long names, and in some cases may not even get the messages. If someone has a long name it also reduces how much that person can type.
Trogers2
Trogers2
StoryTeller (KK)
StoryTeller (KK)

Character Details

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowLance Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:09 am

Yeah, that's why I'm trying to help so much; creating this new character sheet, offering to work with anyone to make a solid character, etc

It's not that big of a deal imo, whispering is a fairly unimportant part of this game. (Besides ST whispering.)

ShadowLance
StoryTeller (PnP)
StoryTeller (PnP)

Character Details

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowLance Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:20 am

Alright, I think I'm just going to host Phoenix ch.2 first

Not enough interest in this chron

But in the future, I think I'll frame this like a movie

I'll write all the characters, and people can 'try out' for the role they want. Or if there's no competitors just take it.

Not like we have a large player base Wink

ShadowLance
StoryTeller (PnP)
StoryTeller (PnP)

Character Details

Back to top Go down

Post by Trogers2 Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:43 am

ShadowLance wrote:Alright, I think I'm just going to host Phoenix ch.2 first

Not enough interest in this chron

But in the future, I think I'll frame this like a movie

I'll write all the characters, and people can 'try out' for the role they want. Or if there's no competitors just take it.

Not like we have a large player base Wink

Jan and afew other people have been thinking about taking part, though I don't think they like the fact that you play as Human. When you try to turn a vampire game into a human game, it doesn't really work. I tried to host a resident evil chron before, didn't work out.
Trogers2
Trogers2
StoryTeller (KK)
StoryTeller (KK)

Character Details

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowLance Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:57 am

Aye I sense that that is the big stumbling block.

It's unfortunate, because a big part of Vampire is the horror and metamorphosis of turning from a human into a vampire, and clinging to your human morals as you're forced to drink blood to survive.

If people have no interest in playing 'humans' to begin with, it really turns into a "super heroes with fangs" game. I feel like a good bit of roleplaying WITHOUT super powers or fangs could really do people some good and improve their roleplaying in other games.

But then again, it seems I host an entirely different type of game than people are used to to begin with, and its probably not good to already jump to something new.

Especially since most people aren't even comfortable in my Phoenix game yet

I'll put more thought into it. But for now I think it'll be best to stick to Phoenix.

Only problem with sticking completely to Phoenix is that most players are now elders and there will be a LOT of politics. Hmm... I have an idea, I'll post more on phoenix thread

ShadowLance
StoryTeller (PnP)
StoryTeller (PnP)

Character Details

Back to top Go down

Post by Aero Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:39 am

It's unfortunate, because a big part of Vampire is the horror and metamorphosis of turning from a human into a vampire, and clinging to your human morals as you're forced to drink blood to survive.

If people have no interest in playing 'humans' to begin with, it really turns into a "super heroes with fangs" game. I feel like a good bit of roleplaying WITHOUT super powers or fangs could really do people some good and improve their roleplaying in other games.
Well said. V:tM is not just about gaining super powers and becoming a predator to humanity. It is about damnation, and loss of salvation.
Final death means that the soul of the vampire would be sent to Oblivion. Not a good experience. And definitely, no chance for redemption or salvation.

Kindred cling to their false feeling of immortality, hoping to stall the inevitable. Yet we all play, ignoring the fact that the characters are damned, and focus on the now.

Originally, I made my Setite character with a major flaw: Ophidiophobia (fear of snakes) as her major obstacle that prevented her from acquiring Serpentis. But I removed that part from the bio after I read a couple bios of badass heroes and anti-heroes.
(if no one believes that, I still have five pages of bio, when Riham the fledgling refused to accept Serpentis.)
Aero
Aero
Lucifer
Lucifer

Number of posts : 615

Character Details

Back to top Go down

Post by isador Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:01 pm

I agree with you on your points, we're not just superman with fangs.
isador
isador
WOD Expert
WOD Expert

Number of posts : 433

Character Details

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content