Hitachi being a Pain in the ---

Go down

Hitachi being a Pain in the ---

Post by nanaloma on Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:47 am

OK; studied the web link - all seems fine. Determined that it is not a firewall problem because the total idiots at Wildblue Satellite had me turn off the MS firewall some months ago after a virus incident because of possible conflicts with the F-Secure one WHICH DOESN'T EXIST THROUGH WILDBLUE! Evil or Very Mad So, basically I had no firewall since then.

Now I need suggestions for why I got a (something like this) error message after clicking on the proper game (one that "V" was hosting with permission): game may be over or there is a network problem".

Could it have simply been a drop off due to satellite links being slower then others (10x faster then dial-up but no longer considered high speed)?

Any thoughts on this appreciated.

nanaloma
Ancillae
Ancillae

Number of posts : 44
Points : 3302
Reputation : 1 Registration date : 2009-08-21

Character Details
Past Intro?: N/A
Can RP: N/A

Back to top Go down

Re: Hitachi being a Pain in the ---

Post by Trogers2 on Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:44 pm

The error message you got is caused by one of the reasons below:

1) The game has actually finished, but the server is still keeping it up meaning when you try to join the game it isn't actually there, this is also known as "ghosting" and was common on WON.net.

2) You are able to join the game half way but are blocked by a program (mostly a firewall) which stops you from joining the game. This happens because Hamachi is a fake LAN, which may make your firewall go crazy thinking it's a virus.

3) Although most games don't need port forwarding. Older games do, as a result Vampire may need you to port forward, if you use a router port forward the following address on both TCP/UDP: 27960 (Might be incorrect it's on site will check later)

From what you have told me, I'm assuming you have a router? In which case I am 90% sure it is a port forwarding issue, googlng how to port forward your band name is a good way to do it if you are stuck. Another common issue is another form of "ghosting" where you can not see the game at all which is often a settings glitch, which you don't have as you did see his game. I would recommend port forwarding.

_________________
"You need to start off as a newbie before you can become great. We were all newbies once."
avatar
Trogers2
StoryTeller (KK)
StoryTeller (KK)

Number of posts : 1095
Points : 4227
Reputation : 3 Registration date : 2008-09-26
Age : 26
Location : England

Character Details
Past Intro?: Yes
Can RP: Yes

http://kindred-knights.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hitachi being a Pain in the ---

Post by nanaloma on Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:08 pm

Trogers2 wrote:The error message you got is caused by one of the reasons below:

1) The game has actually finished, but the server is still keeping it up meaning when you try to join the game it isn't actually there, this is also known as "ghosting" and was common on WON.net.

2) You are able to join the game half way but are blocked by a program (mostly a firewall) which stops you from joining the game. This happens because Hamachi is a fake LAN, which may make your firewall go crazy thinking it's a virus.

3) Although most games don't need port forwarding. Older games do, as a result Vampire may need you to port forward, if you use a router port forward the following address on both TCP/UDP: 27960 (Might be incorrect it's on site will check later)

From what you have told me, I'm assuming you have a router? In which case I am 90% sure it is a port forwarding issue, googlng how to port forward your band name is a good way to do it if you are stuck. Another common issue is another form of "ghosting" where you can not see the game at all which is often a settings glitch, which you don't have as you did see his game. I would recommend port forwarding.

No router - its a direct satellite link (what I used to think "DSL" meant Smile ) - a computer and a modem connected to a satellite dish. Doesn't seem any of these fit but somehow, one must. V was getting ready to close up for the night but had not yet done so. Here's another clueless guess: the web site for Hamachi problems states that for XP to work, the host must have Vista. Have no clue why but, could this be a factor (don't know what OS V uses)?

nanaloma
Ancillae
Ancillae

Number of posts : 44
Points : 3302
Reputation : 1 Registration date : 2009-08-21

Character Details
Past Intro?: N/A
Can RP: N/A

Back to top Go down

Re: Hitachi being a Pain in the ---

Post by Trogers2 on Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:28 pm

I run XP and have no problems at all. Vista + Vampire = Major chaos so I wouldn't try it, I've seen all sorts of problems with vista been run on Hamachi.

If you do not use a router then It must be a firewall or anti-virus issue, have you tried disabeling them? Note: Turning them off sometimes isn't enough as they are infact still running.

_________________
"You need to start off as a newbie before you can become great. We were all newbies once."
avatar
Trogers2
StoryTeller (KK)
StoryTeller (KK)

Number of posts : 1095
Points : 4227
Reputation : 3 Registration date : 2008-09-26
Age : 26
Location : England

Character Details
Past Intro?: Yes
Can RP: Yes

http://kindred-knights.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hitachi being a Pain in the ---

Post by nanaloma on Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:37 am

Trogers2 wrote:I run XP and have no problems at all. Vista + Vampire = Major chaos so I wouldn't try it, I've seen all sorts of problems with vista been run on Hamachi.

If you do not use a router then It must be a firewall or anti-virus issue, have you tried disabeling them? Note: Turning them off sometimes isn't enough as they are infact still running.

I don't think I can do anymore then turnoff the Windows firewall. Haven't tried disabling the virus protection. That'd be a bit risky, though, wouldn't it? Still. I'll try it and see if that gets me on.

nanaloma
Ancillae
Ancillae

Number of posts : 44
Points : 3302
Reputation : 1 Registration date : 2009-08-21

Character Details
Past Intro?: N/A
Can RP: N/A

Back to top Go down

Re: Hitachi being a Pain in the ---

Post by doanlockheart on Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:11 am

I have his problem everytime I try to connect to V's games and several others. I just keep trying to connect and it works after a while.
avatar
doanlockheart
Methuselah
Methuselah

Number of posts : 140
Points : 3550
Reputation : 1 Registration date : 2009-04-19
Age : 34
Location : United States(Central Time Zone GMT -6)

Character Details
Past Intro?: Yes
Can RP: Yes

Back to top Go down

Re: Hitachi being a Pain in the ---

Post by Gast on Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:21 pm

vista runs hamachi perfectly well you just have to know how to use your operating system
OR how to read Wink

imporant things to run hamachi on vista :
have the hamachi network be the FIRST network to be loaded in vista
run Hamachi with Administrator Rights
make sure all firewalls and virus tools know of hamachi

if you try to host a game you will need the hamachi broadcast fix

Gast
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Hitachi being a Pain in the ---

Post by Trogers2 on Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:56 pm

Hamachi works with Vista yes but with, VTMR it may do but it is problematic.

Doan, in your case it must be some kind of fault somewhere along the line which seems to be broken after many attempts. Weird, never seen that before. It might be just V he is known to have bad network issues, maybe you could try with other people and see if it is actually you first.

_________________
"You need to start off as a newbie before you can become great. We were all newbies once."
avatar
Trogers2
StoryTeller (KK)
StoryTeller (KK)

Number of posts : 1095
Points : 4227
Reputation : 3 Registration date : 2008-09-26
Age : 26
Location : England

Character Details
Past Intro?: Yes
Can RP: Yes

http://kindred-knights.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hitachi being a Pain in the ---

Post by doanlockheart on Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:58 pm

Does the same with you, Mopy, and every game I try to join. Sometimes it connects the first time though. It is kinda random.
avatar
doanlockheart
Methuselah
Methuselah

Number of posts : 140
Points : 3550
Reputation : 1 Registration date : 2009-04-19
Age : 34
Location : United States(Central Time Zone GMT -6)

Character Details
Past Intro?: Yes
Can RP: Yes

Back to top Go down

Re: Hitachi being a Pain in the ---

Post by Trogers2 on Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:02 pm

doanlockheart wrote:Does the same with you, Mopy, and every game I try to join. Sometimes it connects the first time though. It is kinda random.

In which case it must be a problem at your end, maybe some kind of anti-virus Steath wizzard? Which tests everything you do over the internet to ensure it is save, this can lead to you not been able to go to that game, website etc.... For a short while. They are in most of the "high-quailty" anti-virus packages as a set.

_________________
"You need to start off as a newbie before you can become great. We were all newbies once."
avatar
Trogers2
StoryTeller (KK)
StoryTeller (KK)

Number of posts : 1095
Points : 4227
Reputation : 3 Registration date : 2008-09-26
Age : 26
Location : England

Character Details
Past Intro?: Yes
Can RP: Yes

http://kindred-knights.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hitachi being a Pain in the ---

Post by doanlockheart on Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:03 pm

No clue, its more of an annoyance than a problem, since I'm able to join after a few attempts.
avatar
doanlockheart
Methuselah
Methuselah

Number of posts : 140
Points : 3550
Reputation : 1 Registration date : 2009-04-19
Age : 34
Location : United States(Central Time Zone GMT -6)

Character Details
Past Intro?: Yes
Can RP: Yes

Back to top Go down

Re: Hitachi being a Pain in the ---

Post by Trogers2 on Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:07 pm

Moepy wrote:vista runs hamachi perfectly well you just have to know how to use your operating system
OR how to read Wink

imporant things to run hamachi on vista :
have the hamachi network be the FIRST network to be loaded in vista
run Hamachi with Administrator Rights
make sure all firewalls and virus tools know of hamachi

if you try to host a game you will need the hamachi broadcast fix

If it is Hamachi you won't be able to see the game at all, this maybe caused by firewall/router. However if you are able to see the game it is not Hamachi it is a network issue which may be caused by a program blocking the IP for VTMR or a fault in the Hamachi settings.

_________________
"You need to start off as a newbie before you can become great. We were all newbies once."
avatar
Trogers2
StoryTeller (KK)
StoryTeller (KK)

Number of posts : 1095
Points : 4227
Reputation : 3 Registration date : 2008-09-26
Age : 26
Location : England

Character Details
Past Intro?: Yes
Can RP: Yes

http://kindred-knights.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hitachi being a Pain in the ---

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum