United-Kindred
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seakyro by Night

+5
doanlockheart
Doe
Trogers2
isador
ShadowLance
9 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Seakyro by Night - Page 3 Empty Re: Seakyro by Night

Post by Aero Fri May 08, 2009 1:59 pm

Seakyro is a deep driven story, and its characters are far from being shallow.
But too much character interaction prevents exploring the world.
I think the chron might be over and we will not have seen everything you have created.Shadow.
Aero
Aero
Lucifer
Lucifer

Number of posts : 615

Character Details
Past Intro?: Yes
Can RP: Yes

Back to top Go down

Post by ORi Fri May 08, 2009 5:16 pm

Character interaction is part of the world so what you say doesnt make much sense to me

if you mean that too much talk =no action, my stance on this is that the story is driven by the characters, the Storyteller present the character with a triggering event that they can respond to in a any way they like(provided the response is in accord with the character's persona and is reasonable) and in turn the character face whatever consequence that result from her action/inaction/words/behavior(again in a manner that makes sense).

So what im saying is that action vs character interaction really depends on the character you play and the choice s/he makes.. I think that forcing a character into doing things s/he clearly has no motive to do is the only thing that truely prevents exploring the world as it tends to reveal the strings behind the illusion of Storytelling(
(For example if the ST says: your character must go to X because all the other characters are going there' or 'your character cannot go to Y because I didnt plan what would happen if they take that course of action).

So to conclude everything I explained(or tried explaining ) above, there is no such thing as too much character interaction
(there is bad storytelling/roleplaying but that is a different animal all togther

Last edited by ORi on Fri May 08, 2009 5:18 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : edit)

ORi
Ancillae
Ancillae

Number of posts : 38

Character Details
Past Intro?: N/A
Can RP: N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by Doe Fri May 08, 2009 5:26 pm

I think Aero is basically saying, is that too much 'standing around talking' will prevent any story from actually unfolding. Ie the storyteller may be waiting to trigger the next event once you step out into the street, and X happens, yet the coterie/group ect is stood indoors talking, perhaps about meaningless tihngs.

This is not my view, just what i believe aero might be saying
Doe
Doe
3rd Generation
3rd Generation

Number of posts : 397

Character Details

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowLance Fri May 08, 2009 6:32 pm

Thanks Ori, well said.

I try my best to make any action the players take be workable in the story and still have realistic consequences. There are moments where the story forces everyone together, but I try to never say "because I say so", its always "because you'll probably be arrested, and that's the best place to hide out right now". (And its always the players choice if they want to risk whatever the consequence is, which isn't a punishment, just part of the game, and a whole story branches off in bailing the player out of jail etc)

I think there's a small bit of confusion because I ST-ed the last chapter of Phoenix so strongly story-driven and the players got swept along pretty quick, especially in the last few games. Whereas Seakyro is more where the players take it (though I have an overall story as well), so as deep of NPCs and details as possible are necessary.

Besides, you've seen everything I've built plus a lot I improvised and built on the spot that is now saved. And we're still going to see new areas, new cities, etc.

ShadowLance
StoryTeller (PnP)
StoryTeller (PnP)

Number of posts : 304

Character Details
Past Intro?: Wasn't tested

Back to top Go down

Post by Trogers2 Fri May 08, 2009 6:35 pm

Doe wrote:I think Aero is basically saying, is that too much 'standing around talking' will prevent any story from actually unfolding. Ie the storyteller may be waiting to trigger the next event once you step out into the street, and X happens, yet the coterie/group ect is stood indoors talking, perhaps about meaningless tihngs.

This is not my view, just what i believe aero might be saying

I can see what Aero is saying. Standing around in one place chatting for 3/4 of the game isn't really "good STing" it is just FFing (free form). Sometimes pushing the players a little is nessassay.

e.g. If the players end up spending most of the game in a club/bar talking to other players, little progress would be made to any kind of plot/storyline (if so this progress would be very slow) In essance the ST would need to "do something" to fix this, this could be something small or bigger e.g. Club gets bomed, Club went bank robbed etc...
Trogers2
Trogers2
StoryTeller (KK)
StoryTeller (KK)

Number of posts : 1095

Character Details

http://kindred-knights.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ORi Fri May 08, 2009 11:15 pm

Dont see anything wrong with Characters (not the players) spending most of the game at a club/bar talking to other characters if they are so inclined, it can make some good social scenes and further the ongoing story between the two or more characters rather than the overall story.

IMO what you say holds only if the players choose not to roleplay(e.g. whispering OOC asking "Who are you on Hamachi?" in the middle of the session)? "

ORi
Ancillae
Ancillae

Character Details

Back to top Go down

Post by Gast Sat May 09, 2009 1:22 am

seakyro is a wellmade chron, and pretty realistic imho,
if we as players wish do do something, shadow lets us do it
he doesnt push the story on us, he lets us explore,
I personally love it, I like exploring and interacting way more than
having someone put me in situations id NEVER end up in

ashes (V)loves to go out into the wastes for example and we can leave for it whenever we feel like it, not when shadow tells us we have to go Wink

i treat seakyro a lot like an mmo sandbox,
yay for shadow

Gast

Back to top Go down

Post by Trogers2 Sat May 09, 2009 1:31 am

I don't think you fully understand what I mean. If a storyline/plot is going on, and a player spends all the games in a club chatting away sure thats good RP, hey it's even social, but is it good Sting? If we have a game of 5 people for example 4 of these 5 are Rping away uncovering a storyline, while 1 of the 5 players spends all the games in a club/bar. This not only leaves this player out of the main purpose of the game but also is unnessassary ST wastage e.g. Game speed is reduced due to ST flicking from player to player. As shadow said before, it is harder and slower if players are all over the map.

Also it's importent not to get chronicles mixed up with simple free form, free form holds no purpose it's just social as you said. Tends not to be a plot/storyline (although there may be) As a chronicle although heavily player driven (as you said) does actually have a plot/storyline although the players are vital to the plot/storyline the ST will have a main plot which he/she will use, if the players happen to kill an importent NPC for example, the ST will make a new plot.
Trogers2
Trogers2
StoryTeller (KK)
StoryTeller (KK)

Number of posts : 1095

Character Details

http://kindred-knights.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gast Sat May 09, 2009 1:49 am

well whenever i felt isabelle wouldnt get along with the way the current game was going i took her out, have her drive home on the bus, at wich point I as player tell shadow that she leaves and he shouldnt worry about her, and i leave the others to play undisturbed...

If you dont want to be part of the group its imho unfair to force shadow to play with you on your own, you can go play a singleplayer game if you want to play alone..

Gast

Back to top Go down

Post by ORi Sat May 09, 2009 1:52 am

it all depends on what motivation does the character have to act that way and what role s/he have in the story.
I dont make a distinction between free form and chronicle because that destinction is very artificial , a good storyteller makes sure the motivation and stake characters have in the story(no matter how vague) are there for each of the characters ,

About your example: if the character chooses to stay at a bar and investigate the crimeboss who is the bar's patron while the rest of the characters went to break into that said's patron's haven meanwhile there is really no problem, ill just do the scene for the 4 characters and schedual a different time for the scene with the 1 character who remained in the bar if hopping from one place to another gets too intensive, if he still want to stick around ill let him participate with an NPC .. everyone are happy..

Sorry if I sound like have all the answers but really I think I do.

ORi
Ancillae
Ancillae

Character Details

Back to top Go down

Post by Doe Sat May 09, 2009 2:55 pm

A question to any of the ST's, would you be happy, to re-scedule a game, for just one player, because he decided to stand around and talk, instead of getting invloved in the main plot?

Having players split up and do seperate tasks is easy in a LARP group or face to face PnP. online like this, it uneccessarily slows down the game and irratates others who are trying to carry on with the plotline.

Just my 2 sense.
Doe
Doe
3rd Generation
3rd Generation

Character Details

Back to top Go down

Post by ORi Sat May 09, 2009 4:41 pm

I assume Doe's post is something of a criticism of what I posted so I will reply to it:

I would either make that particular scene in another time or make it using chat or play by post.. it really depends on how much time I have.

I think you mistunderstand because I said I would be doing that so it wont slow the game down and irritate the others

also about plotline... I dont see it as a line because the plot in that kind of game is more like an evolving series of intersections,curves and branchs...
because if its so linear like you claim it should be what is the point of roleplaying? the evolution of action and consequence is essential in this kind of storytelling, otherwise I might as well write a novel ...

And as a final clarification: I dont expect anyone on this site to adopt this method, this is how I would do things when I ST

Last edited by ORi on Sat May 09, 2009 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

ORi
Ancillae
Ancillae

Character Details

Back to top Go down

Post by Doe Sat May 09, 2009 4:54 pm

Well no, thats not what i was saying at all. I was simply saying, that if the plot (for example) is about stopping a group of hunters from assasinating the prince. Then thats what your character should be doing, not standing talking to an NPC, which takes up valuable STs time.

And i have no issue with hosting a particular scene via chat ect, i cant see many STs hosting a private game for a one on one however, when they, and other people on who are wanting to continue with the chron.

Im not here to argue, just to give an oppinion.
Doe
Doe
3rd Generation
3rd Generation

Character Details

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowLance Sun May 10, 2009 12:21 am

well for one, I host for just 1 person plenty. I think it's pretty fun, get to pour all ST focus on one character, his personality, history, force him to make tough choices, etc etc. That sort of thing gets harder and harder the more players there are.

But then the advantage of having lots of players is all the inter-character development, making friends/enemies, relationships for better or for worse etc.

I was simply saying, that if the plot (for example) is about stopping a group of hunters from assasinating the prince. Then thats what your character should be doing, not standing talking to an NPC, which takes up valuable STs time.

Depends on the type of game it is. In Seakyro, there is no "what your character is supposed to be doing" there's only "what your character would do". Meaning: you worry about roleplaying your character, I'll worry about the plot/setting/npcs.

Seakyro is how Ori described, with branches forming off the main story depending on player choices, bends, curves, etc. Dynamic.

For example, I had no intention of pushing the players into the rebellion, but that ended up semi-happening because Robert panicked and shot two GSC. I say "semi-happening" because all the players still had unlimited options for choices. They could have turned Robert in, forgot about him entirely, joined the GSC and hunted him, etc.

I think the most "social" decision was to stick with their friend, Robert, keeping the players together, etc.

Oh and thanks Mopy!

Last edited by ShadowLance on Sun May 10, 2009 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total

ShadowLance
StoryTeller (PnP)
StoryTeller (PnP)

Character Details

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowLance Sun May 10, 2009 12:21 am

Also, this weekend is f**ked, all of my professors were late giving midterms but they still all came at the same time, and "do it over the weekend, you've got plenty of time :d" due dates.

As well, spontaneously working over the weekend

Sorry, wish I could have known this shit sooner so I could have said so earlier in the week

ShadowLance
StoryTeller (PnP)
StoryTeller (PnP)

Character Details

Back to top Go down

Post by isador Sun May 10, 2009 11:27 am

ShadowLance wrote:

For example, I had no intention of pushing the players into the rebellion, but that ended up semi-happening because Robert panicked and shot two GSC. I say "semi-happening" because all the players still had unlimited options for choices. They could have turned Robert in, forgot about him entirely, joined the GSC and hunted him, etc.

Err, what? did i miss something? Crying or Very sad
isador
isador
WOD Expert
WOD Expert

Number of posts : 433

Character Details

Back to top Go down

Post by Aero Sun May 10, 2009 2:23 pm

I would like to explain my point of view. There is nothing wrong with character interaction. On the contrary, I am in favor of it.

What I meant was: Some chronicles have a deep large world. And by the time the story unfolds, the players will not be able to see everything the ST created because there is more than what is needed.
Personally, I have no interest at twisting the ST into showing everything he created.

As long as the story is memorable, I am more than content. .
Aero
Aero
Lucifer
Lucifer

Number of posts : 615

Character Details

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowLance Sun May 10, 2009 11:28 pm

Ahhh gotcha, yeah I try to build more than is necessary, even if you just glance at an area once, if its fully built and detailed it gives the illusion of a bigger world rather than the same empty map you've seen a hundred times.

Raccoon city is a tricky one because although its big, its nothing to the size of black triad or mega london

ShadowLance
StoryTeller (PnP)
StoryTeller (PnP)

Character Details

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowLance Fri May 15, 2009 10:04 am

Truffeni Fa will be in the KK skinpack by Mopy.

Skin by me, model by Mopy

https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img38/3566/truf2.jpg
https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img39/226/truf1.jpg

(Note: the skin itself looks much better, but VtM:R shrinks, blurs, and does other unspeakable things to skins)

ShadowLance
StoryTeller (PnP)
StoryTeller (PnP)

Character Details

Back to top Go down

Post by Tem Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:01 am

Cant wait for the next game you ended it at such an interesting part lol.
Tem
Tem
Ancillae
Ancillae

Number of posts : 32

Character Details

Back to top Go down

Post by Gast Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:48 pm

Seakyro by Night - Page 3 Seakyro

Gast

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowLance Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:27 am

Er wha? Laughing

ShadowLance
StoryTeller (PnP)
StoryTeller (PnP)

Character Details

Back to top Go down

Post by Gast Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:22 am

Trogers2 wrote:Alright everyone has gone through the first game. Going to make a few changes.

Each player will start off on a different Sceanario somehwere away from the other players doing something else e.g. Piper is with Adam (Anarch Baron) Who aims to team up with the kindred who lived the assault and fight back, while Doan is working in a little Assamite hub where he is been hired for kills etc... Players will bump into each other, and things could happen which is what will make this intresting. Due to players not been around when needed, I'll just host for those online without impaling the storyline.

Next game is is either tomoroe (if doan doesn't host) Or on Tuesday, we'll see who turns up.

ROFL! Trogers Very Happy hahaha ok.. im ok... hahahahaha.. SOMEONE MOVE THE POST PLEASE HEHEH

tokEo in seakEro

and Do i see a trend here? every ST allowing some sort of freeform has to split the players Razz
I think we should consider calling this a new style of storytelling Wink

Gast

Back to top Go down

Post by Doe Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:59 pm

Wrong thread trogs lol
Doe
Doe
3rd Generation
3rd Generation

Character Details